How to Make Money Blogging – For Beginners
Ways to work from home has become part of the “norm” in this day in age. Everyone would love to find ways to trade in their 9-5, for a life at the home office, or perhaps on the couch with their laptop. It’s no wonder blogging has taken off the way that it has. As it is one of the many, but highly preferred ways of supplementing your income. But where do you start? That’s the question many face. So, I have decided to write this article on how to make money blogging for beginners.
First let’s nail down this key question…
What is a Blog?
A blog is just a website, or webpage consisting of entries. Much like a journal. Think of it as almost like a diary. Only, you want the world to see it. It can be about anything you want it to be about. This is your little space on the internet. However, in order for your blog to be successful, it is much easier by following some key guidelines that we’ll get to later.
How Much Money can a Blog Make?
I know blogs that make over $100,000 a month!
Sounds too good to be true, huh? Take a look at Michelle’s blog Making Sense of Scents. She posts her income report every single month for the world to see.
Now is she new? Well, sort of. In a world of bloggers – she’s been doing it somewhere around 4 years, or a little more. I’d say that’s new to be making that kind of money. I can only hope to be there one day.
Where to Start?
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform there is. Even better news, it doesn’t cost you a dime. It is free to download, and you can even make a free domain name with them.
They offer a variety of free plugins available to use to add to your site, to give it more options and flexibility. Even though there are other options available, to not get overwhelmed I would keep it simple and choose to download this platform. Also, keep your theme simple. There is no reason to spend too much time worrying about the appearance yet. It is not what makes money.
The 4 Steps to Build Your Blog
There’s really only 4 steps to follow in order to build a blog that will generate income:
- Choose your niche – it is advised to have a targeted audience. You want to start off blogging about one particular topic. This can be an interest, hobby or just something you feel would be profitable.
- Driving traffic to your site – You can build the best site in the world. It will not do any good until you learn the fundamentals of getting traffic to your page.
- Building an email list – The best blogging sites have email lists. You want an audience to come back, to develop a trust with you. This makes it easier to have them purchase from you.
- Monetize your site – This can be done in various ways. We will explore some different ways.
How to Generate Income with Your Blog
There are several ways that a blog can make very good money. All of these may not be directly related to your blog, and that’s ok. Just choose what options suite you the best.
- Google Adsense – One of the most common and easiest ways to earn money, is through ads or links. When a reader clicks on the ad, you will get paid. Ads can be good and bad. You do not want too many ads on your page. Not only does it look like a scam – it also redirects the reader from your page. Remember. you want them to come back! They are there for the content!
- Provide a service – Are you an expert at something? Or do have a service directly related to your niche, that you feel people would pay you for? This is a good option if so.
- Affiliate Marketing – Hands down my favorite way of making money. Simply sell products to customers, by linking them to an outside site, such as Amazon They purchase the product, and you earn the commission from it. There are thousands of affiliate programs available, no matter the niche.
- Create a sales funnel – A sales funnel is good for a blog if you have several products, from E-Books to major products or software that you’d like your readers to buy. Start them small, then try and upsell. Or, some people actually create their funnels in reverse. This way the biggest sales are what you get if the reader decides to purchase from your site.
As you can tell, a lot goes into making a blog be successful when it comes to making money. It is not as hard as it looks, but it does take time. But, with the proper use of keywords, and quality content , the money will follow.
Do not let this intimidate you. Remember if you quit before you start, you’ve already failed! Give it time, follow the proper guidelines, and this will work for you. I can guarantee it.
As always I’d love to hear your feedback. Please leave your questions and comments below.
(If this article has helped you, please share it by clicking one of the buttons below!)